In the course of building out my primary site, Legal Nomads, I have become a frequent public speaker, delivering both keynote talks that lean toward inspiration and change, as well as in-depth workshops about the business side of brand-building in an online world. For list of press clips, please see here.
If you are interested in working with me, please email me directly about speaking, writing, and interview requests.
- Video interview with Bloomberg Law for their Stealth Lawyer series, Bloomberg Law (below)
- On Passion, Risk and Travel, World Domination Summit keynote
- Food and world travel, Hostelworld Google+ Hangout
- Bangkok Cleans up, but are the red shirts done? CTV News
- World Domination Summit Wrapup Chris Guillebeau
- TBEX 2012, Girona wrapup CC Chapman
Frequently-Requested Speaking Topics (2010-2017)
To date, the most-requested topics for speaking have been:
- How to build an Engaged Community: how short-term spikes in engagement do not mean you have a loyal customer base. Focus on tools to build both engagement on social streams and to continuously reenergize your core users and consumers.
- Branding, Storytelling and Effective Use of Social Media: without optimizing your brand’s story for willing repeatability, social media becomes less effective. Learn how to create a compelling message and then how to maximize their dissemination on social media and other communications platforms.
- Career breaks and Career Transitions: how to work toward what you love in life, not sit and wait for an epiphany to figure it out for you.
- Food and Travel: traveling with food allergies, how to find cheap and delicious street food without getting sick, tools and packing lists for traveling safely while still enjoying streetside meals.
Selected Speaking Experience
- Speaker, Spinal CSF Leak: Bridging the Gap between Patients and Providers, November 2023
- Speaker, NAFSA: Association of International Educators Conference, “Standing Out in a Crowded Digital World: Telling Stories via Social Media” in Los Angeles, California (2017)
- Speaker, NAFSA: Association of International Educators Conference, “The Power of Story to Dissolve Bias and Encourage Global Citizenship” in Denver, Colorado (2016)
- Closing Keynote Speaker, Travel Bloggers Exchange Conference, “Why Travel Blogging Needs more Storytelling” (Summary here) in Bangkok, Thailand (2015)
- Keynote Speaker, The World Food and Tourism Summit, “Bloggers and Food Industry Stakeholders” in Estoril, Portugal (2015)
- Speaker, Travel Bloggers Exchange Conference, “Building a Business Beyond your Blog“, Lloret de Mar (2015).
- Speaker, Travel Bloggers Exchange Conference, “How to Turn Readers into a Thriving Community” Toronto (2013)
- Closing Keynote Speaker, Travel Bloggers Unite, Umbria, “Getting People to Listen to You Online” (2012)
- Speaker, World Domination Summit, Portland Oregon (2012), on curation and social media strategy. (Summary here.)
- Keynote Speaker, The World Domination Summit, “On Taking Risks, Long-Term Travel and Finding your Path in Life” Portland Oregon (2011)